Antique Cars / Classic Car Models Wallpapers
Wallpapers are available in | 1024*768 | 1280*1024 | 2 Different Resolutions
The Antique Car Era: Built before 1950
The American automobile industry is over 100 years old. It began in the early 1800's with pioneers trying to adapt crude steam technology to most anything on wheels. But it wasn't until the turn into the next century that the power of the internal combustion engine made personal vehicles practical.
Steam power proved too cumbersome and electric motors were limited by battery technology, as they still are today. But gasoline was cheap and plentiful, encouraging both two-stroke and four-stroke development. By 1910 there were over 500 companies competing for supremacy. But by the time the Great Depression hit in 1929 , only 60 had survived and twelve years later there was less than 20.
The early cars were built in back yards and barns, with more wood than steel. There were no guarantees or repair facilities and buyers were left to their own devices to keep them on the road. They were a significant investment that only the well-to-do could afford but they were far from luxurious. The engines had to be started with a crank that frequently kicked back and could easily break your arm. It took two strong arms to turn the steering wheel. There were no doors, or heaters or windshield wipers. And when headlights were finally added they had to be lit with a match. In addition, gasoline was not always easy to find and the lack of roads coupled with crude tire technology resulted in all to frequent flats. However, it was an exciting time for inventors and entrepreneurs and names like Ford, Daimler, Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge, Studebaker, Olds and Hudson became household names.
Up until 1920, when the average worker earned less than $1500 a year, automobiles were hand made - one at a time - and could cost $3,000, $6,000 and even $10,000 dollars. Then Henry Ford revolutionized the industry by creating the assembly line and pre-manufactured, replaceable parts.
- 23. Classic Car Models - Mini Classic Car
- 24. Antique Car Models - Mini Antique Car
- 25. Antique Car Models - Antique car parts
- 26. Classic Car Models - Mini Classic Car
- 27. Antique Ford Car Models - Antique car parts
- 28. Classic Car Models - Mini Classic Car
- 29. Antique Car Models - Antique car parts
- 30. Classic Car Models - Mini Classic Car
- 31. Antique Car Models - Antique car parts
- 32. Antique Car Models - Antique car parts
- 33. Antique Car Models - Antique car parts
- 34. Antique Car Models - Antique car parts